• Shakespeare's Will
• Scenes and Monologues
The Globe Theatre
About the SRC
Citing the SRC
Shakespearean Theatre Companies
Editor Recommendations | Regional and Independents | Collected Links and Associations
The following links to theatrical companies specializing in Shakespearean productions are provided:
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater is Chicago's professional theater dedicated to the works of William Shakespeare.
- Illinois Shakespeare Festival
- The Illinois Shakespeare Festival is known nationally in the theatre community as one of the top Shakespeare Festivals. The Illinois Office of Tourism nominated the Illinois Shakespeare Festival as one of the top 120 attractions in the country.
- Open Air Theatre
- Since 1932, the Open Air Theatre at Regent's Park in London has become an established and much-loved highlight of Park life and of London's theatrical calendar.
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival
- Based in Ashland, Oregon, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is the largest rotating repertory company in the US, operating since 1935.
- Royal Shakespeare Company
- The RSC is probably the most famous classical theatre company in the world. This site has all the latest information on current and future productions, ticket sales, merchandising as well as press and educational resources.
- Shakespeare & Company (MA)
- Located in Lenox, Massachusetts, Shakespeare & Company is one of the largest Shakespeare Festivals in the U.S. The organization attracts more than 60,000 patrons annually and is renowned for its actor training and theatre-in-education programs.
- Shakespeare in Central Park
- Founded by Joe Papp, the New York Shakespeare Festival's "Shakespeare in Central Park" season has been a premier summer theater since 1962.
- Shakespeare's Globe Online
- Founded by the pioneering American actor/director Sam Wanamaker, Shakespeare's Globe is a unique international resource dedicated to the exploration of Shakespeare's work, and the playhouse for which he wrote, through the connected means of education and performance.
- The Shakespeare Theatre
- Since its founding in 1986, The Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, DC, has dedicated itself to becoming the nation's premier classic theatre.
- The Stratford Festival of Canada
- Stratford, Ontario is the home of the largest classical repertory theatre in North America. It draws audiences of more than 600,000 each year.
- Utah Shakespeare Festival
- The Utah Shakespearean Festival, which won the 2000 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre, presents nine plays each year from June through October.
- Actors Shakespeare Company
- Actors Shakespeare Company is a professional, ensemble theatre in residence at St. Peter's University.
- Actors' Shakespeare Project
- Actors’ Shakespeare Project believes Shakespeare’s words are urgently relevant to our times. Working as an ensemble of resident company members, we bring these words into the voices, bodies, and imaginations of our actors, audiences, and neighborhoods.
- Aesthetic Realism Theatre Company
- The Aesthetic Realism Theatre Company presents talks by Eli Siegel, founder of the philosophy Aesthetic Realism, on Shakespearean and other literary works.
- African-American Shakespeare Company
- Based in San Francisco, the African-American Shakespeare Company's mission is to present European classical works within an African-American cultural context.
- Alabama Shakespeare Festival
- The Alabama Shakespeare Festival, located in Montgomery—Alabama's state capital—is a fully professional regional theatre that produces around ten productions each season. Productions of Shakespeare are at the artistic core of the company.
- American Players Theatre
- American Players Theatre draws an annual audience of more than 110,000 people from around the country and has earned a national reputation for presenting theater of the highest quality.
- American Shakespeare Center
- Originally the Shenandoah Shakespeare Express, the American Shakespeare Center in Staunton, Virginia seeks to make Shakespeare, the joys of theatre and language, and the communal experience of the Renaissance stage accessible to all.
- Annapolis Shakespeare Company
- The Annapolis Shakespeare Company has quickly become a standard bearer for an exceptional theatre experience while continuing to offer an outstanding educational program for students of all ages.
- Arizona Classical Theatre
- Founded in Prescott, Arizona in 1998, and home to the Arizona Shakespeare Festival.
- Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre
- Based in Conway, The Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre produces vibrant, engaging, lively and provocative performances for all Arkansans.
- Bard on the Beach
- Bard on the Beach is one of Canada's largest not-for-profit, professional Shakespeare Festivals. Presented in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vancouver's Vanier Park, the Festival offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas, and several special events in two performance tents from June through September.
- Bath Shakespeare Festival
- The Bath Shakespeare Festival in Maine is a professional, non-profit theatre committed to producing Shakespeare's plays at the highest artistic level, using professional actors.
- Bay Colony Shakespeare Company
- Bay Colony Shakespeare Company is a professional, classical theater company located on the South Shore of Massachusetts, dedicated to bringing great stories to our community.
- California Shakespeare Theater
- Established in the Siesta Valley in 1973, the California Shakespeare Theater produces classical works set against a beautiful backdrop of rolling East Bay hills and summer sky.
- Chesapeake Shakespeare Company
- Chesapeake Shakespeare Company is known for engaging and entertaining audiences in unique and intimate performance environments, and for making opportunities for conversations among audiences, artists and the wider community.
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Company
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Company is a resident ensemble theatre company bringing Shakespeare and the Classics to life for audiences of all ages. In 2014, the company became one of the first five theaters in the U.S. to complete the canon.
- Colorado Shakespeare Festival
- The Colorado Shakespeare Festival is a professional theatre company in association with the University of Colorado Boulder. Since 1958 the festival has celebrated and explored Shakespeare and his continuing influence and vitality through productions of superior artistic quality, education and community engagement.
- Commonwealth Shakespeare Company
- Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is dedicated to performing the works of William Shakespeare in vital and contemporary productions that are presented free of charge to Boston's diverse communities, and to educating Boston's youth.
- Connecticut Free Shakespeare
- Founded in 2000, Connecticut Free Shakespeare is a professional non-profit theater company that produces free public performances of classical theater with a 21st-century sensibility.
- Cromulent Shakespeare Company
- The Cromulent Shakespeare Company breathes new life into classic plays with a creative and ensemble-based approach performing in parks and small theaters in MN.
- Dead Playwrights Repertory
- This classical repertory company in Haddonfield, New Jersey, is dedicated to reviving the works of dead playwrights and breathing new life into them.
- Delaware Shakespeare Festival
- The Delaware Shakespeare Festival creates professional theatre and educational programs for residents and friends of the State of Delaware. DSF is proud to be in residence at historic Rockwood Park in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Fairbanks Shakespeare Theatre
- Starting with a performance alongside the Chena River in downtown Fairbanks, Alaska in 1992, the Fairbanks Shakespeare Theatre has grown into a year-round producing and international-touring theatre company.
- Flatwater Shakespeare Company
- Flatwater Shakespeare is a non-profit organization bringing classical theatre to the artistic community in Lincoln, NE.
- Flint Hills Shakespeare Festival
- The premiere outdoor Shakespeare Festival of the Flint Hills in Kansas.
- Garfield Shakespeare Company
- This Indianapolis-based non-profit theatre is the proud provider of the long-loved "Shakespeare in Garfield Park."
- Grand Valley Shakespeare Festival
- Grand Valley State University hosts Michigan’s largest and oldest Shakespeare festival.
- Great River Shakespeare Festival
- A nonprofit, professional Equity theatre company in Winona, MN, dedicated to dynamic productions of Shakespeare’s plays, extensive education and community outreach programs, and comprehensive theatre training.
- Shakespeare in the Park in Seattle. GreenStage presents classic plays in a manner accessible to all.
- Hampshire Shakespeare Company
- Founded in 1989, Hampshire Shakespeare Company is a community of artists dedicated to presenting the works of Shakespeare and promoting theatre in general.
- Harborside Shakespeare Company
- The Harborside Shakespeare Company (HSC) seeks to keep the works of William Shakespeare and other classical playwrights relevant and accessible to contemporary audiences throughout Downeast Maine.
- Hawaii Shakespeare Festival
- The Hawaii Shakespeare Festival was founded in 2002 and performs every summer at the Paliku Theatre at Windward Community College.
- Heart of America Shakespeare Festival
- Heart of America Shakespeare Festival presents free professional productions in Southmoreland Park.
- Hip to Hip Theatre Company
- Primarily serving New York City’s Queens County, Hip to Hip Theatre Company's mission is to stimulate and develop interest in the theatre arts by presenting free, family-friendly, professional productions of popular classics in public spaces.
- Hudson Shakespeare Company
- Established in 1992, the Hudson Shakespeare Company produces a yearly summer in the parks touring program of Shakespeare plays and other classical titles hitting locations in northern New Jersey and Stratford, Connecticut.
- Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival
- The Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival in Garrison, New York, produces critically acclaimed shows that challenge, inspire and demystify the great works of William
- Idaho Shakespeare Festival
- Idaho's premier professional repertory theatre company performs Shakespeare in a world-class, outdoor amphitheatre beside the Boise River.
- Iowa Shakespeare Experience
- Central Iowa's only professional Shakespeare company, producing a year-round schedule that features a free summer festival.
- Kentucky Shakespeare Festival
- Founded in 1949, the Kentucky Shakespeare Festival is the oldest free festival in the U.S.
- Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival
- Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival at Sand Harbor State Park. For decades, people have relaxed on Lake Tahoe's pristine beaches with wine and cheese and enjoyed the Bard at his best.
- Lakeside Shakespeare Theatre
- Since 2003, the Lakeside Shakespeare Theatre has served the Benzie County community in art, theatre and theatre education.
- Las Vegas Shakespeare Company
- LVSC is committed to presenting professional quality theatre productions emphasizing the works of William Shakespeare, leading to a better quality of life for all residents of Nevada.
- MaineStage Shakespeare
- MaineStage Shakespeare is an outdoor summer repertory theater on the Maine coast that breathes new life into the classics.
- Manhattan Shakespeare Project
- Manhattan Shakespeare Project is Columbia University's newest all-female Shakespeare company.
- Marin Shakespeare Company
- Marin Shakespeare Company offers professional summer Shakespearean theatre performances from July through September and year-round education and outreach programs.
- Michigan Shakespeare Festival
- The Michigan Shakespeare Festival has been presenting the timeless themes and glorious language of William Shakespeare since 1995, growing each year into a premier regional event.
- Missouri Shakespeare Festival
- Presented by Missouri Southern State University, the festival aims to offer the plays of William Shakespeare in productions that are insightful, exciting, and entertaining.
- Montana Shakespeare Company
- With a company of actors from across the nation, the Montana Shakespeare Company is the Treasure State’s resident, professional Shakespeare company, performing full-length productions of the Bard’s great works in the capital city.
- Montana Shakespeare in the Parks
- The company's mission is to make quality, live, free theatrical productions of Shakespeare and other classics accessible to communities in Montana and surrounding states with an emphasis on underserved, rural areas that would not otherwise have this opportunity.
- Montford Park Players
- Since 1973, The Montford Park Players' purpose is to bring Shakespeare and other classic plays to the mountains of Western North Carolina, free of charge.
- Mountain Shakespeare Festival
- The Mountain Shakespeare Festival is a theater company at the top of the Grapevine in Frazier Park, California that strives to offer the finest of entertainment in the midst of the mountains.
- Nebraska Shakespeare Festival
- Nebraska Shakespeare is a non-profit, professional theatre company based in Omaha, and a founding member of the Shakespeare Theatre Association of America.
- The New American Shakespeare Tavern
- America's only Shakespeare Tavern®: An Original Practice Playhouse® with a British-Pub menu available before each performance.
- New Orleans Shakespeare Festival at Tulane
- The New Orleans Shakespeare Festival is a professional theatre company housed at Tulane University, one of the south's most prestigious academic institutions.
- A Noise Within
- ANW's mission is to perform and educate the public on great works of world drama in rotating repertory using a company of professional, classically trained actors.
- North Carolina Shakespeare Festival
- Designated by The North Carolina State Legislature as The State Shakespeare Festival, NCSF has been producing the world's great classics, particularly the works of William Shakespeare, since 1977.
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater
- The Orlando Shakespeare Theater produces bold professional theater, develops new plays, and provides innovative educational experiences that enrich our community.
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre is a dynamic, world-class Shakespeare company that believes language is power and creative learning is essential for all.
- Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company
- Based in Grand Haven, Michigan, the Pigeon Creek Shakespeare Company seeks to offer performances of Shakespeare's works to Michigan audiences in a variety of non-traditional theatre venues.
- Prague Shakespeare Company
- The Prague Shakespeare Company (PSC) presents professional theatre productions, workshops, classes, lectures and other theatrical events of the highest quality, conducted primarily in English by a multinational ensemble of professional theatre artists, with an emphasis on the plays of William Shakespeare.
- Rebel Shakespeare Company
- For nearly a quarter century, The Rebel Shakespeare Company has been a fixture across Boston's North Shore, bringing the timeless works of William Shakespeare and the creative genius of children together.
- Richmond Shakespeare Festival
- The Richmond Shakespeare Festival's mission is to produce and promote a high-quality annual Shakespeare festival, including theatrical performances and educational opportunities, based in Richmond, Indiana.
- Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival
- The Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival is dedicated to engaging the entirety of our community through performances, programs and events that recognizes our indelible commonality, and rejoicing in our diversity.
- Seven Stages Shakespeare Company
- Based in Portsmouth, NH, Seven Stages Shakespeare Company (7SSC) is a professional ensemble of creative artists dedicated to generating a local and global dialogue by presenting exciting and accessible presentations of the works of William Shakespeare.
- Shakespeare & Company (MN)
- Minnesota's longest-running outdoor classical repertory theatre, performing Shakespeare and other classical plays in an informal picnic atmosphere.
- Shakespeare by the Sea
- Shakespeare by the Sea is a non-profit organization providing free professional Shakespeare performances in beautiful outdoor settings in Southern California.
- Shakespeare Festival St. Louis
- The festival's mission is to produce professional Shakespeare theatre, culminating in a free production in Forest Park, and to celebrate both Shakespeare’s language and the artists he has inspired.
- Shakespeare Miami
- The mission of Shakespeare Miami is to promote literacy, culture and a passion for the arts through free performances of the works of William Shakespeare.
- Shakespeare Now! Theatre Company
- Shakespeare Now! is the pre-eminent Shakespeare-in-education provider in Massachusetts, bringinging exciting, live performances to elementary-high schools.
- The Shakespeare Project of Chicago
- The Shakespeare Project of Chicago is the only free Shakespeare company in Chicago using all members of the Actors Equity Association.
- The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey
- The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is the state's only professional theatre company dedicated to the presentation of Shakespeare's canon and other classic dramatic entertainments for the cultural enrichment of the community.
- St. Louis Shakespeare
- St. Louis Shakespeare was founded in 1984 to perform Shakespeare's plays and other dramatic classics. Originally begun as a summer festival presenting plays in rotating repertory, the Company now presents three Shakespeare plays and one non-Shakespearean classic each season.
- Spring Lake Shakespeare In The Park
- Spring Lake Shakespeare In The Park is dedicated to producing the plays of Shakespeare, free of charge, with the focus on the script, actors and audience.
- Texas Shakespeare Festival
- Based in Kilgore, TX, the Texas Shakespeare Festival has provided eastern Texas with professional productions of the classics for more than 30 years.
- Theatre under the Stars
- New Hampshire's only professional outdoor repertory theatre. Produces Shakespeare in the Valley.
- The Wales Millennium Centre
- The Wales Millennium Centre Arts centre housing theatres for musicals, opera, ballet and dance, as well as cafes and arts organisations. Includes information about the building, organisations based there, news and what's on.
- Wichita Shakespeare Company
- Wichita Shakespeare Company presents the Shakespeare in the Park series each summer, free of charge, in parks in the Wichita area.
- Woman's Will Theater Collective
- Woman's Will, the Bay Area's all-female Shakespeare company, exists to provide opportunities for women and girls to work together in a supportive yet challenging environment, to entertain and educate through high quality classes and performances, and to expand the boundaries in which audiences and artists see themselves.
- Worcester Shakespeare Company
- The festival is committed to making the works of Shakespeare accessible to the people of Central Massachusetts by presenting the plays in a dynamic manner.
- Curtain Rising!Shakespeare Festivals
- Curtain Rising! is the best organized collection of live theatre links on the web.
- League of Resident Theatres
- LORT is the largest professional theatre association of its kind in the United States, with 74 member Theatres located in every major market in the U.S., including 29 states and the District of Columbia.
- NEA: Shakespeare in American Communities
- The National Endowment for the Arts maintains a list of exemplary, professional, not-for-profit groups with substantial performing experience as part of its Shakespeare for a New Generation program.
- Shakespeare Theatre Association of America
- The STAA was established to provide a forum for the artistic and managerial leadership of theatres whose central activity is the production of Shakespeare’s plays. Their membership directory provides links to a multitude of regional Shakespearean theatres.
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- The Southeastern Theatre Conference is a dynamic membership organization, serving a diverse constituency and reaching out across 10 states in the southeast region of the United States and beyond.